Friday, September 28, 2012

So I Heard There's a Big Game Tonight

Tonight the Fire travel to take on Sporting Kansas City in what looks like could be the game that could be for 1st place in the Eastern Conference. Right now the Fire are the hottest team in the league averaging more than 2 goals a game since the beginning of August and only giving up an average of 1 goal a game since the beginning of September. SKC on the other hand has only scored 2 goals in 3 of their last 8 games and has been inconsistent record wise since the beginning of August by winning some tough games and tieing some very winnable games. this game has major implications when it comes to the standings atop the East. If the Fire can manage a win tonight then they will be in the driver's seat for the Eastern Conference title have 1 game in hand and very winnable games left on the schedule(home to Philly and DC, away to NE). It won't be the end of the world if the Fire don't manage a win tonight, but if they can win and get the East title then that would mean avoiding a possible matchup with NJ Redbulls. I think the Fire can go in and win tonight by a score line of 2-0 with goals coming from Macdonald and Nyarko.

I know I have been questioning the FO's moves and it seems that they have paid off. I know other sites have been analyzing the rest of the season and taking a stab at where the Fire can finish. To me i would like the Fire to finish 1st of course but i certainly hope that they can avoid that 4th or 5th place finish so they can avoid that play in game. As proven in the past regular season doesn't mean anything once the playoffs start. I mean think about it Colorado won an MLS cup and they're horrible. I also hate to stir up nightmares but RSL beat us at home and went on to beat the heavily favored Galaxy one year. Our first year we weren't supposed to win it all and look what happened. I know finishing atop the East would mean avoiding SKC and NJ in my opinion so that would be great but the way we are playing as a team I feel that we match up against both of them really well. First test is tonight though and hopefully our defense can stop the sputtering offense of SKC tonight and we can look forward to finishing the season strong and riding the momentum into the playoffs.

Look for comments about the game tomorrow mid to late morning from me again if you enjoy my opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment