Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Match Day #13 Rewind and a Look At The 2 Week Break

So we all know what happened Saturday night in Boston. While watching the game I thought to myself during the first half, "Hey we're actually looking okay, creating some chances, and not giving up too many chances. We might actually win this game." The second half started and we looked great up until the substitution that brought Rolfe on for Oduro. What happened next is in no way Rolfe's fault, I just think that the sub disrupted our flow of possession and good attacking soccer. What happened next was just an embarrassment. The Fire made New England's attacking corps look like they should be playing for Barcelona. The way our defense fell asleep and let them walk right in to score the 2 goals was just unbelievable. After the 2 goals were scored it was the good old Fire we have come to know this year, start playing with a sense of urgency when trailing.

I really thought the Fire had a good chance of pulling out a win on Saturday but they didn't. Add this to the disappointment of the US Open Cup exit and 3 MLS games that only produced 3 points, I ask my self "What's next?". Does Frank have a magical signing that will put us over the edge when it comes playoff time? Will we miss out on the playoffs yet again? All of this boils down to whether or not Andrew wants this team to be a winner or if he is just comfortable with it being mediocre. With Andrew being our owner I'm leaning with the latter. Ever since he bought the club I have never liked him and have always stated that he is not a good owner for the this team. The past couple years we have seen this, as well as who he has for his right hand man that works with him in dealing with club decisions. I feel there is just something holding this team back. I hear that Klopas has final say when it comes to players on his roster, but how much of that is true. Javier Leon, Andy's right hand man, used to be CDUSA CEO and now he is in charge of informing Andrew about what would be good for his project and also some talent evaluation. Well we all know how well Chivas USA has done in the past.

With that being said imagine how a conversation would look like if Frank found a player that would fit into the system.
Frank: "Javier I found a player that could put us over the top."
Javier: "Really?"
Frank: "Yeah, he is a clinical finisher and could really help."
Javier: "Okay I'll let the boss know."
Javier then goes to speak with Andrew.
Javier: "Hey boss, Frank might have found a player."
Andrew: "Tell me more."
Javier: "Well he is a forward that will cost this much, but I found a guy down in Uruguay that is cheaper and I think he will work out well in the MLS."
Andrew: "Well I like the sound of the second guy."

Well those might not be the exact words but you can imagine. Maybe Frank is being held back because of Javier and Andrew. We may never know. But what I do know is that this club has to do something in order to make the playoffs. They have to make some changes in order to get this team to be a well oiled machine that we come to expect from our history. The pessimist in me says that with Andy be a vacant owner and only caring about profit(ie see investment into 2nd Star Club that everyone is lining up to be a part of) this team will only be mediocre. Because we all know that mediocrity and not winning sells tickets. But being a fan I will be there cheering on the Fire win or lose, but if they lose I'm not going to idly sit there and not let my voice be heard. So here's to a 2 week break and when we come back let's hope the Fire are back with renewed focus and ready to destroy the pink cows on the 17th.

As always please leave comments and now for a break for at least a week. Hopefully the players get some rest and we have more of a full roster than we have had in the past couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment